- ABOUT UK
- 5 EASY STEPS
- EXPENSES & SCHOLARSHIPS
- APPLICATION PROCESS
- VISA INFORMATION
United Kingdom (UK) or the Great Britain has been the most popular and revered destination among international students for centuries. This is due to the research based, well planned education system that is proven. The country is home to several world renowned centuries old universities like University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University of Edinburgh, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland/Scotland, etc. that topped the medical universities of the world.
UK it is a sovereign state located off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The UK's form of government is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system and its capital city is London.The United Kingdom consists of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The latter three have devolved administrations, each with varying powers, based in their capital cities, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively.
UK is among the most developed and industrialized countries in the world and has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and eighth-largest by purchasing power parity. The UK remains a great power with considerable economic, cultural, military, scientific and political influence internationally.
Healthcare in the United Kingdom is a devolved matter and each country has its own system of private and publicly funded health care, together with alternative, holistic and complementary treatments. Public healthcare is provided to all UK permanent residents and is mostly free at the point of need,being paid for from general taxation. The World Health Organization, in 2000, ranked the provision of healthcare in the United Kingdom as fifteenth best in Europe and eighteenth in the world.
- Education in UK is research oriented and the education system is followed in most parts of the world
- World class universities and teaching hospitals for medicine studies
- Among the most developed countries with advanced infrastructure and facilities for High Quality Education, Clinical exposure and research
- Higher Opportunities to study world recognized UG and PG programs
- Opportunity to Work as a licensed physician with higher remuneration after studies
- World Recognized Degrees (recognized by MCI (India), WHO, ECFMG, FAIMER IMED (Both USA), MCC (Canada), etc. and almost any country in the world
- FMGE (MCI Screening) exam in India not required for Indian citizen on obtaining a UG / PG degree in medicine in UK / who is licensed to practice medicine in the country
- Part Time Job Opportunity during studies
- IELTS / TOEFL, UK CAT Score are required, in most cases 1 Year in advance
- Very low Visa success rate for Medicine course, particularly in UG level
- Varied Climatic conditions, mostly not suitable for Indians
- High cost of education and living (INR 2 – 3 Cr Overall)
- Consult US Medico Abroad team. Know about the eligibility criteria and requirements, entrance examinations, universities, costs, visa success rates, future career prospects, etc
- Clear UK CAT (United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test) and IELTS (score of 7.0/9.0 is required) / TOEFL examinations. UK CAT may not be required for few universities, but is advisable to be post a successful application as an international student. A Pre Medical qualification is preferred
- On successful admission and payment of initial tuition fee deposit, apply for CAS letter, prepare Visa documentation
- On Visa Approval, Fly to UK. Study Medicine for 4.5 Years + 1 Year internship. Earn a MBBS / MBChB degree
- Clear PLAB (Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board) examination –MCQ and Clinicals.
List of Current Medical Schools in UK:
|S NO||COUNTRY||NAME OF MEDICAL SCHOOL||UNIVERSITY||ESTABLISHED||DEGREE AWARDED|
|1||ENGLAND||Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry||Queen Mary,||1995 (St Bartholomew's Hospital- 1123)||MBBS|
|2||(University of London)|
|3||University of Birmingham Medical School||Birmingham||1828||MBChB|
|4||Bristol Medical School||Bristol||1833||MBChB|
|5||Brighton and Sussex Medical School||Brighton||2002||BMBS|
|7||School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge||Cambridge||1842||MB BChir|
|8||Durham University School of Medicine and Health||Durham||2001||MBBS|
|9||Hull York Medical School||Hull||2003||MBBS|
|11||Imperial College School of Medicine||Imperial College London||1997 (Charing Cross Hospital- 1818)||MBBS|
|12||Keele University School of Medicine||Keele||1978||MBChB|
|13||King's College London School of Medicine and Dentistry||King's College London||1988 (St Thomas's Hospital- 1550)||MBBS|
|14||(University of London)|
|15||Lancaster Medical School||Lancaster||2004||MBChB|
|16||Leeds School of Medicine||Leeds||1831||MBChB|
|17||Leicester Medical School||Leicester||1975||MBChB|
|18||Liverpool Medical School||Liverpool||1834||MBChB|
|19||Manchester Medical School||Manchester||1874||MBChB|
|20||Newcastle University Medical School||Newcastle||1834||MBBS|
|21||University of Nottingham Medical School||Nottingham||1970||BMBS|
|22||Norwich Medical School||East Anglia||2000||MBBS|
|23||Medical Sciences Division, University of Oxford||Oxford||1220–1255||BM BCh|
|24||Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry||Exeter||2000||BMBS|
|26||UCL Medical School||University College London||1998 (Middlesex Hospital - 1746)||MB BS|
|27||(University of London)|
|28||Sheffield Medical School||Sheffield||1828||MBChB|
|29||Southampton Medical School||Southampton||1971||BM, BMedSci|
|30||St George's, University of London||St George's||1751||MBBS|
|31||(University of London)|
|32||Warwick Medical School||Warwick||2000||MBChB|
|33||SCOTLAND||University of Aberdeen School of Medicine||Aberdeen||1495||MBChB|
|34||Dundee Medical School||Dundee||1967||MBChB|
|35||University of Edinburgh Medical School||Edinburgh||1726||MBChB|
|36||Glasgow Medical School||Glasgow||1751||MBChB|
|37||University of St Andrews School of Medicine||St Andrews||1450||BSc (Hons)|
|38||WALES||Cardiff University School of Medicine||Cardiff||1893||MBBCh|
|39||Swansea University School of Medicine||Swansea||2001||MBBCh|
|40||NORTHERN IRELAND||Queen's University Belfast Medical School||Queen's University Belfast||1821||MB BCh BAO|
Studying Medicine in UK can be a wonderful experience and can be completed in a shorter duration of 5.5 Years but may not be very pocket friendly compared to developing countries.
Average costs incurred by an international medical student in UK may vary from INR 25 – 50 Lakhs per year inclusive of food and living costs depending on the university, lifestyle of the students, location, etc.
overall costs are around INR 2 – 3 Crores overall.
Universities in UK offer scholarships and bursaries based on the academic performance and merit.
Further there are international student scholarships (Around 1,500 GBP) are offered by UK for all Indian students
Indian Students can also apply for Common Wealth Scholarship and many more that are offered based on need and merit.
However all these scholarships are competitive and the students have to apply for the same well ahead of schedule.
UK Medical Universities recruit International students for medical education based on merit in limited numbers. UK CAT scores play a vital role in the application process. Generally the Application deadline is fixed between the months of January – April and varies from university to university.
Kindly contact US Medico Abroad team for further information, since the requirements of every university varies time to time
UKBA (United Kingdom Border Agency) administers the visa and immigration systems of the UK. UKBA follows a Point Based immigration System to assess and grant visas to students planning to study in UK. All student visas are classed under Tier 4 of the points-based system. To qualify, visa applicants must have already been offered a position at an educational institution in UK. The duration of Tier 4 visas varies, taking into account the time needed to conclude studies and attend graduation. Generally students get 4 months additional time after their course to complete any pending academic commitments in UK.
US Medico Abroad Team would support applicants in the complete visa process.